Ways/Strategies to Adapt in a Foreign Country as an International Student

    Along with what I have learned in Introduction to Intercultural Communication class with the topic on how to manage culture shock and stress effectively, I try to connect the theory with my own experiences. I would take four ways to manage culture shock and stress: a). Resilience, b). Coping, c). Spirit of Adventure, d). Inner purposes (Spencer-Oatey and Franklin, 2009). 

1. Resilience

    The first way is to be resilient; it means we have to be able to cope and recover quickly from difficulties. Being resilient will help us to be tough to deal with another struggle that might happen again. For me, being resilient means, it is okay to be stressed and make mistakes while learning new cultures, I will always try to find the ways out. 

2. Coping

    The next is coping, it is important to know the effective ways to cope with stress when we adapt to a new culture. In my specific opinion, the best way to cope is to not be afraid to seek for help whenever we need it. In my case, I always ask my friends about something I do not understand in the new culture. Another example, when my phone was broken here, I asked my local friends for recommendation of good phone services around, and it did help me so much. 

3. Spirit of Adventure

    The third way is to have spirit of adventure. To be able to adapt in a new culture is to explore as much as we can so that we understand a lot about the culture. Traveling cities in the new country I live in with my friends helps me to know more about this country and it will reduce the stress and culture shock that I face.

4. Inner Purpose

    The last is to have inner purpose. In order to adapt well, we have to know exactly what brings us here, what purposes that we want to achieve, so that it is easier to manage our mind and emotion. In my case, my purpose flying to a new country is for studying, with knowing my inner purpose, I believe that it will not be easy for me to give up.

 

 

Nestya Nanda Nur Fauza 

Komentar

Postingan populer dari blog ini

Love Through

Women and Eids

Birthday Journal