Women and Eids

Honestly, on a fine day, I would love just to spend Eids with family that I am close with. I would love to see my mom enjoy the Eid fully, without having to think about the mountain of dirty dishes in the sink. I would love to not see any tear shed, or exhausted body of women just because of domestic tasks.
 
But then, I grow up staying with a huge family during Eids. It’s not just me, my mom, my dad, my siblings, my grandparents, but it’s more than that. I wonder who will take care of the household during these big gathering days. Who will cook for us. Who will do all the dishes. Who will take care of the children. Who will clean the entire house. One person that will eventually pop up in my head is, of course, my mom, the eldest daughter in the family.
 
I am 22 now when I write this. I just now realize, after being stressed of the amount of the household tasks, after crying while doing the dishes, after the sudden emotional wave that going around my body. Why is it just women? The other people were laughing on the other side of the room, and the other were crying because of stress and exhaustion. All the hard-work that women put in the house are often even invisible. Do people thank their mothers, wives, daughters, and sisters enough? For waking up earlier than other family member, cooking, cleaning, and managing the entire house during Ramadan and Eids? No?
 
Mom, before I even realize, before I am this old, do you suffer alone? Before you have to comfort me during my eids break-down times, do you have someone comforting you? Do you have the same thought as me, that if we, women, speak about it, people will call us “overreacting”?
 
On this fine day, I will write and tell people, how they should have the sense of responsibility of the household chores, to make them understand, it’s not women’s obligation. It’s all people’s responsibility. For the next Eids, let’s have ourselves a happy and holy Eid, Mom!
 
(+appreciation goes to my dad, too! For always being with us, doing the dishes with me, and cooking with mom.) <3


Komentar

Postingan populer dari blog ini

Love Through

Birthday Journal